Friday, August 15, 2008

Naming rights



what to call a new design is fraught with pitfalls - accidentally naming it something like "River" only to find out later that "River" is a famous shawl pattern, or using a gender specific name and discovering that people don't even click on the pattern because they are looking for a girl's pattern and it's a boys name therefore it must be a pattern for a boy.
I really wanted a theme for my pattern names, I thought about Shakespeare's characters (done), birds (done), NZ native plants - I've used a couple - Nikau and Koru, but the pronunciation shakes people a little, while it is only right that kiwis should leant how to pronounce Maori names correctly, there is no onus on the rest of the world to do so. I have considered competitions - "name my garment and get all of my patterns free" or some such - but still there is no continuity, no theme.

Looking for a name for my latest wee kimono style jacket and pants I considered Acheron, the name of a river in the South Island, looking it up on Wikipeadia I not only discovered that Acheron is actually the name of 2 rivers in the South Island, but that NZ has over 1000 rivers...hmmm...theres a theme, Tinline and Roaring Lion are shaping up as major contenders, even Riverstone still fits in with that scheme!
Here is Acheron, still in bits awaiting seaming and a bit of tarting up - I am too busy knitting another version in that beautiful yarn I am still keeping secret from you - soon, soon.


and what is in the pipeline?

- Riverstone pattern launch - maybe tomorrow!

- Sleeping bag with removable liner

- a cute colourful baby toy

2 comments:

Jen said...

I can't wait to see this when it's finished! My 2yr old loves her Liam and Spirited, so we are always on the lookout for a new Justjussi pattern for her. :)

Meg said...

I have to chime in and say my favourite river (well it's a stream, technically) in the South Island is the Roaring Meg !
And yes I have posed for the obligatory photos of me doing a tiger roar next to the Roaring Meg Recreation Reserve entrance sign...
(Though for a knitting pattern name, it still doesn't achieve the gender neutrality you're after.)